Donate

Monday, July 8, 2013

Defining moments

Who are you? If I asked you that question, what would you say? How do you define yourself? I think sometimes I define myself by my moments, you know those moments I am talking about. The ones in which you put above all the rest, somehow you raise those times in your mind and when something happens in your life you automatically think of those "defining moments". I hate and love that term at the same time, because it is so easy for me to take a moment in my life and make it mine, something that I point to. When disappointment or failure reaches a climax, I have a moment that I think of  and bring myself back to. Telling myself I am no more than this failure or that height, as if I can't reach past it and if I do, I only grab air because there is nothing beyond it. There is no part of me that can possibly be beyond that moment because I have defined myself by it.

But there are other moments: do you have moments of inspiration when you feel as though you could rap, rhyme, create a beautiful sentence or just be creative? As though anything that comes through your head and out of your mouth is like poetry and its something unique, as if the world hasn't heard your thoughts or least those words put into a sentence in that particular way? And then what your write seems to be perfect and it allows your ego to talk to your head, making it bigger and probably bigger than what you expected or what it should actually be. Do you ever feel that way? But it usually ends somewhere, and then that big bubbly head of yours finds a thought that acts as a needle, bursting what you created. Let me tell you what I think about those words you created in your moment of inspiration. It wasn't just a moment and those words are not the only thing worth valuing. The inspiration and the canvas in which that poetry came from is beautiful and worth even more than that bubble you created. You are more than your inspiring moments and you are more than those words or thoughts.


1 comment :

  1. I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of this blog post!

    ReplyDelete